Friday 12 September 2014

Memories of Sydney Baker by Ron Muller


A million, wonderful memories of Sydney came flooding back, especially his dazzling wit and humour, the memory of which I treasure.

I cannot for the life of me remember exactly how and when we met but it was soon after I returned from Europe in '64. Probably in '65.
I had just taken a flat in another block at Clifton when Sydney told me that there was a vacancy in his block and organized an interview with the agents. The flat was small but spectacular,[on three levels] and I loved it. We got on like the proverbial bomb and I was always at his place. I just couldn't believe what an incredible personality he had. 
​Carnaby Street fashion for men was the hot ticket at the time and I had some clothes made at a tailor in Cape Town. When Sydney saw the clothes he loved them and decided to use me as a model wearing the clothes in the background in a shoot that featured a blonde girl named Hazel Baker. This was in '66 and I've included it with a few shots of the flat where I stayed [ringed]. 

Unfortunately, I left Cape Town and my beautiful flat in June '66 and went to live in Jo'burg. From Jo'burg, where I worked for British Airways as a flight controller, I travelled a lot. Rio, NYC, LA, SF but decided to return to London permanently at almost the same time '95 that Sydney went to live in Greece. 

Thanks so much for sharing these wonderful pics and memories with me,

Warmest regards,

Ronnie
​ 

PS. I tried for many years to establish myself in photography. I have some work on the Saatchi website which you may access using the following link: ​
https://www.saatchiart.com/account/artworks/155326

No comments:

Post a Comment